TCS NYC Marathon ALZ Association

Sunday, May 8, 2016

May 2016 and what's ahead

I started this blog in 2009 and regret putting it off for seven years. Today, it is a perfect time to start fresh and give you an update.

In three weeks, I will be running in my first marathon race and the excitement continues to build. I've been training for several months and going into this month, my running has drastically improved. After each run, my confidence continues to grow and there is no intention of letting up now. Last week, I ran my fifth half marathon race in Binghamton. Even though the weather was less than perfect, the cheering crowd came out and cheered us all on. Not only did I take five minutes off my personal best, but hearing cheers throughout the run gave me a lot of positive encouragement going forward. Despite the personal setbacks, I feel amazing and that is not an understatement. I'm really starting to discover myself for the first time in a few years along with an energetic and positive mindset and lifestyle. Along with running twice a week, I also workout 4-5 days a week.

Being a serious runner the last few years has been a very positive experience. You never stop learning and you get very valuable feedback from individuals who are highly experienced in long distance races. Also, you build lasting friendships with those who have similar aspirations/achievements. I meet so many new people at the races and group runs and it is one of the benefits of being a serious runner. I would like to continue running for a very long time and can't wait to accomplish something that I would never think of doing on May 29th.

Earned. Not Given.
 Advice? Anybody can do it. All that is required is committing a lot of time and managing it very well. Writing a fitness journal and a planner is very beneficial progressing towards your goals. If you are just beginning, start small and steadily increase your distance runs over time. That is the beauty of running, you learn and continue to grow as you progress. Join a running group and socialize with those who have accomplished what you are working on. Support local businesses and participate in local races that are in your area. The internet is an endless source of information. Heck, that is how I found out about the races and through word of mouth. It is very encouraging to find more races being created that are fun and for the serious runner in anyones life. Most importantly, be yourself and don't let anyone tell you it can't be done.

"Dig deep for the strength that you seek."-Madball (Born Strong)

No comments:

Post a Comment