TCS NYC Marathon ALZ Association

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Stand up New York

Just got back from a weekend trip to New York City. The primary reason was attending Black N' Blue Bowl at Webster Hall. This was my second time going and it was amazing. All the bands that played were great. The one big highlight was everyone going crazy for Billy Club Sandwich when they performed. Now that is a New York Hardcore show right there. My friend Jesse booked them to play in Binghamton about five years and unfortunately they had to cancel. Now, I'm very happy that I finally got to see them live. I'll have to see if I can dig up that flyer because it was suppose to be their first ever show here in upstate New York.

Another one would be seeing Hazen Street for the first time and Madball performing tracks off of Demonstrating My Style for the 20th anniversary celebration. That album was on my mind lately because I was debating whether that album or Set It Off was the better album. I love both albums but DMS is the better one but only by a slight edge I spoke to Joe "Cuz" Cammarata and Freddy "Madball" Cricien towards the end of the show, thanking him for putting it on and really appreciated all the hard work they did. Joe then told me that he has a lot of surprises up his sleeve for next year. After hearing that, I told myself that I have to come back here next year. My only regret is not going to more New York City shows when I was younger and having the opportunities to do it. How did I get to the city? I'm cheap and efficient punk so the bus is the way to do it. I love taking the bus down there so I can explore the city including punk rock/hardcore shows. It is great seeing all the bands that have been around for a very long time getting back together and doing what they love, keeping the spirit and pride of hardcore alive.
















Billy Club Sandwich bringing down the house on their 20th anniversary.

 American Nightmare







 During two change overs, trailers were played for an upcoming film NYHC: New York Hardcore Chronicles The Film. The film will be coming out in December of this year. There is also a book by written by freelance music journalist Tony Rettman that focuses on decade 1980-1990. I think I read a PDF rough copy of the exact same book about five years ago. I wish I still had it but the published version will be the icing on the cake. It is on my wishlist of books to read so don't bother asking me for a review. However, if you want more information on where to order the book and view the trailers for the upcoming film (December 2016), I will post them for you.




Here is the flyer I was talking about. Thank you Billy Club Sandwich for coming back in 2016.



Enough of the hardcore life for a moment. Another goal for this weekend was to get a run in while I was in the city. I was able to do that by running 12 miles at Central Park and it was a very strong run. I thought I was slow but was surprised at the time I accomplished. As I stated in the previous post, my running is drastically improving and I'm becoming more confident now that the marathon is two weeks away. Met up with my sisters for food before I headed back home. All in all it was a very fun weekend and I can't wait for my next trip back to the city. I'm getting for excited for a couple days of This Is Hardcore Fest in Philadelphia coming up in August. Until next time, keep it real.





No comments:

Post a Comment