TCS NYC Marathon ALZ Association

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Maple Leaf Half Marathon (Manchester,VT)

Saturday, brought me to Manchester, Vermont for the Maple Leaf Half Marathon. This was my first time running a half marathon in The Green Mountain State. Overall, I was very pleased with the race course which was challenging but not daunting. It felt wonderful to be racing again. Thank you to all the sponsors, event organizers (Manchester Lions Club), volunteers, and safety personnel for making my first half marathon in Vermont a very fun experience.

Could not have got through the run without help from my fuel essentials.


Mile 1-6
Prior to the race, my plan was to keep the pace around 7:20 because the first six miles had graduated elevation on the course. I wanted to have energy left in the later stages of the race. For this portion of the race, the paces went according to plan (7:07, 7:25, 7:02, 7:27, 7:15, and 6:51). I try to avoid looking at my watch constantly because my focus starts to lack but this race was an exception. Also, it was very helpful sticking to pace goals. If my pace was too quick, it gave me an opportunity to dial it back slightly (a little slower). Made several passes on this portion of the course and kept the runners in sight for most of the race. Also, I planned my water stops prior to the race. Usually, my first one is four miles into the race. At around mile four, I grabbed the first cup of water. 

Mile 7
Another excellent pace just before the big hill. Grabbed my second cup of water but did not get a good grip on it. I didn't have time to dwell on that mishap. Luckily, I had a GU Energy gel to get me through the next few miles including the Windhill Road stretch, 6:56 mile. Some portion of the road was run on a dirt road.

Mile 8-9
It was time for the most daunting hill on the course, Windhill Road. My objective was to have a slower pace (around 7:45) on this portion compared to other mile markers. I ended up with a 7:43 at that stretch which was better than expected. If it was 8 minutes, I wouldn't have been disappointed. The same runners were in my sight. One of them looked back to see where I was. That same runner would do it again after mile 9. Now it is time to keep moving.

Mile 9-Finish
Now that the daunting hill portion of the course was finished, the remaining stretch began its gradual descent. My objective was to pick up the pace, run under 7 minute miles for the remaining portion of the race. Break open that other GU Energy Gel and go to work. Just after mile 9, I caught up to the runner who looked back at me a couple miles back. Back onto the dirt road portion of the course until just after the ten mile marker. I ran along side this runner for about two miles. He thanked me for pushing him though. I asked him where we stood position wise. I believe we were in the top ten at that moment. Quickly got that off my mind and started reeling in a few more runners that were still in my sight. 

Mile 11, I slowly picked off a couple runners. I grabbed my final cup of water while continuing my quick pace to the finish. Passed my final runner at around the twelve mile mark. Mile 11 and 12 was a beautiful stretch of the course running on Vermont 7A back into downtown Manchester. Made the final push not really looking at my watch at all because I showed no signs of slowing down and felt fantastic (6:40, 6:36, 6:42, and 6:40 with the last portion at 0:59). It was an exciting feeling coming back into Dana Thompson Memorial Park for the finish. The crowds were cheering me on along with the announcement of my name. Thank you very much for making my first Half Marathon in Vermont a memorable one. 
Can't you tell I am thrilled with how race weekend went?

Final time: 1:33:14 with an average of 7:07 per mile

6th place overall and 1st place in my age group (30-34)

Thank you very much Manchester for a memorable experience. I will never forget it. On to Salisbury in two weeks for another race. 

Let's Go To Work

-MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment