TCS NYC Marathon ALZ Association

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Spartan Tri-State Beast (New Jersey)

Spartan Beast was a success. Can't wait to do it again soon.

WHAT AM I!? I AM A SPARTAN!

On April 27th, I participated in the Spartan Tri-State Beast event in Vernon, New Jersey at Mountain Creek Resort. Thirteen miles with thirty obstacles to challenge those who are brave enough to conquer the beast of a course. This was my first Spartan race. Picked a great race for my Spartan debut. As a marathon runner, this was a different challenge for me but eager to take it on. Running marathons is a wonderful achievement. Completing a Spartan race is on another level.

After completing the Beast, I learned so much about myself physically, emotionally, and mentally. Part of the reason why I return to running events time and time again. Spartan events will be no exception. This post will focus on lessons learned from Saturday's Beast event. It will not have an extensive recap on the course and obstacles. Here are some lessons I took away from my first Spartan race:

Train
Sign up for Spartan Workouts by email. Check out their YouTube page for obstacle tutorials. Despite struggling with some of the obstacles, I was able to get through the course with little trouble. Having running experience helps. I ran a variety of road and trail races prior to my first Spartan Race. Went to the gym regularly to help with upper body strength, legs, core, and back.

Having fun
Races are not always going to go as planned. It is important to not get discouraged. Whenever, I feel upset during a race, I adjust my race objectives. Yes, I got upset when I had to do burpees for not completing the obstacles successfully. When that started to happen, I took the failures in stride and focused on having fun along the course. After completing your first competitive event, you go into the next event better prepared. It builds character. Thank you for making the Spartan Beast race fun.

Listening to my body
Studying the course, I walked along the trails in between obstacles and narrow paths on the trail. It was a perfect opportunity to conserve energy. Talking to other competitors on the course made my experience more enjoyable. For fuel and hydration, I carried a hydration backpack with two liters of water. Also, three gels and FIT AID supplement drink got me through the Beast course. Prior to the race, I ate oatmeal with cashew butter and sliced banana. Drank Coconut Water to get a supply of electrolytes prior to the start. Spartan competitors fuel and hydrate differently. Plan accordingly. You can never have too much food supplements and hydration.

Building a Community
Talking to other competitors puts my mind at ease. Whether it is asking for advice on race experiences to completing difficult obstacles, competitors are happy to provide in their insights prior to the race. Since the Spartan community has been wonderful, I am coming back for races in the future. Talking to competitors on the course and shuttle bus has built up my confidence and broadened my social circle too. This is the main reason why I keep coming back to endurance events time and time again.

My first Spartan event was very memorable. Too many burpees to count, a few blisters, great obstacles, awesome competitors, and a challenging course. My body was muddy wet, sore, and tired. The finishers medal was worth all the trouble and hard work. Thank you very much for making my very first race a memorable experience. The staff, volunteers, and photographers made the event safe and fun. Can't wait to do it again in a few months. Next stop: Massachusetts

AROO!

No comments:

Post a Comment