TCS NYC Marathon ALZ Association

Monday, May 30, 2016

Herald of Victory



It is hard to believe that 3.5 years ago was my first road race. Since then, I have completed several races including five half marathons. Serious running has transformed my life socially, physically, and mentally. You will be amazed at what you can learn from other runners who have similar aspirations or conquered challenges. Training for a big race consumes so much time but in the end, the journey to finish is well worth it. If you would've told me a few years ago that I would be run and finish a full marathon, I would have laughed at you. On Sunday, I added another life accomplishment, Herald of Victory Marathon. I was elated and overcome with joy when I crossed the finish line in a little of 4 hours. Checking the results earlier, I was 11th overall and 3rd in my age group which is a complete surprise for me.  It was amazing hearing all those cheers from the crowd and volunteers throughout the course, which kept me going. Hearing fellow runners describe the course as brutal and tough gave me more confidence and pride with my accomplishment.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the volunteers, sponsors, first aid station workers, photographers, musicians, and law enforcement/course marshalls for making this race safe and enjoyable. Also, thank you Anthony for running with me for most of the race helping me dig deep for that extra strength and excellent job finishing your fifth marathon. Most importantly, thank you Jenna Jenks and Matt Gawkors, from Confluence Running from all your hard work putting this event together. Having 250 runners participate in a first time event is a big step. Both of you should be very proud of what you accomplished and I'm hoping that it will get bigger for years to come.

Even though Binghamton does not receive a pretty reputation, I'm very glad to see more races being created in this area and most importantly making running enjoyable for everyone. A majority of the events are done for charitable purposes so definitely take advantage of it while you can and most importantly, have fun. Since I've resided in the area for most of my life, I'm glad that I picked Binghamton to run my first full marathon. I hope that event returns next year and I was very honored to be a part of the first time event. Awesome job to all the participants in the 3 person relay groups and Ride For Life 26.2 cyclists.

Right now, I'm at a loss for words but I can't wait for Philadelphia in 6 months and need to invest in a serious training program. The primary reasons why I love running are it keeps me energetic, the desire to take on new challenges, and the people that you meet along the way. My advice for anyone looking to run whether it is serious or for fun, start small. As I stated earlier, training consumes a lot of time but in the end, the goals are very rewarding.

Thanks again to everyone that helped me in reaching a tremendous accomplishment. You are amazing and really appreciate the support. Can't wait to see the photos.

Support local business: Confluence Running

No comments:

Post a Comment