TCS NYC Marathon ALZ Association

Thursday, December 28, 2017

2017 Recap

2017 was a wonderful year filled with so many accomplishments and memories. When the new year starts, I'm excited to venture on new experiences. I want to take this opportunity to look back on some moments that got me to this point. Before that, marathon training has been going really well. The weather is getting colder so the times have been slightly slower. I have hit the 20 mile marks twice this month. It has been tough but I am getting stronger. Training has given me a chance to explore new running spots. Pebbles Island State Park has a couple miles of trails along the Mohawk River. In New Jersey, Sussex Rail Trail had some trails off the main route. I really enjoy trail running because it is a nice change from running on the pavement. Enough of the training update, here is my look back on 2017.

Vermont Marathon

Photo: Game Face Media

On Memorial Day weekend, I completed my third marathon in three different states. Prior to this event, I have never step foot in The Green Mountain State. Burlington was a beautiful city but I wish I could've spent more time there. Looking to run a half marathon there soon. You can read more about my experience there, click here.

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert 


Prior to Vermont, I traveled to New York City to be in the audience for a live taping of The Late Show With Stephen Colbert. I stayed in a hotel around the corner from the Ed Sullivan Theater in May 2016. Walking by the venue, I told myself that I will be there one day. If I couldn't get to Saturday Night Live or Jimmy Fallon, this is the event I wanted to attend. With my priority ticket, I was five rows from the stage. The guests were awesome: Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Samantha Bee, Ed Helms, and Rob Corddry. Dave Matthews stopped by to perform a song, Samurai Cop.

Tamerline Farm Sanctuary




This was an amazing experience. Personally, I would recommend visiting an animal sanctuary over a zoo and an aquarium.

Now for some personal achievements:

  • On December 21st, happy to say this, I reached two years of sobriety. No question, it has given me a better perspective on life and more time to learn about myself. I reached out to a couple friends who were a big influence on my decision. 
  • Right after my birthday, I transitioned into a vegan diet. For the past two years, I was a vegetarian but would eat vegan dishes any opportunity I got. I will be approaching one year in February. It is challenging but I feel better about myself physically and mentally every single day. 

Five Years of Running

I can't believe it has been five years since I started running.

As the anniversary approached, I was doing a lot of reflecting on this. Typical Matt would've lost interest maybe one year into an activity like this. If you would've told me that I would run three marathons; eight half marathons; and other various distance races in five years, I would've laughed at you. I can't wait for what the future holds. 

Those were the biggest moments of 2017. I created so many memories that got me to the new year. Concerts, comedy shows, sporting events, traveling, hiking, vegan food searches, and family gatherings made this year positive and fulfilling. Most importantly, thank you everyone who took the time to read my blog and inspired me to dig deep for my potential. Hope your year was amazing and you are living your life prosperously, peacefully, and positively.



Sincerly,
-MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment