TCS NYC Marathon ALZ Association

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Five Years


This weekend marks my fifth anniversary of running. Considering I started in a 5K race just for fun, it is hard to believe my running has grown substantially. I have been reflecting on it for at least a month now and I'm struggling for words at the moment. Ironic that a 5 mile training run fell on the anniversary date. Thank you to everyone who told me I was crazy to train and race in a marathon. It is crazy that I would finish a 5K race then decide to run a half marathon in 2013. Three years later, I am at the start line for my first marathon on a very humid Sunday and was able to finish the event. In 2017, I have several races under my belt including three marathons and a better understanding of what it takes to prepare.

Excerpt from October, reflecting on my journey:

A common job interview question an employer asks, where do you see yourself in five years? You don't hear that question in too many, if not, any running discussions. Why is that? It is hard to have a five year plan as a runner. Goals change over that period of time. Setbacks also factor in.

Did you ask yourself that question when you first started running? I didn't but it has been on my mind for days now. I bet you are wondering if I have an answer for this question. I'll give you answer.

With my fifth anniversary of competitive running approaching in December, I still want to be running, hopefully injury free. Continue to obtain additional running knowledge regarding training, diets, and workouts. Also, I want to build my community of friends that share similar interests. As my experience grows, I will be looking for that next running challenge.

Running has given me an opportunity to explore other parts of the United States I've never visited before. It gives me a chance to act like a tourist in motion, without the camera. Continue to learn more about myself as I continue to run.

Hopefully that answers your question. Let me ask you, how would you answer it, without repeating my answers? Tough to do isn't it?

There is so much more to learn and experience with my running journey. What started as fun running a 5 kilometer race has transformed into marathon races and growing friendships along the way. My love and passion for running has grown substantially in five years. I'm looking for it to continue as I get older.

If you have been running for more than five years, I hope you obtained the goals and dreams you set forth. For everyone else, where do you see yourself in five years? See you soon.





Thank you to everyone that I have met during my five years of running and inspired me to continue the journey. I have to get running because there are places to see, people to meet, and accomplishments to obtain.

Prosperous Running,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment