TCS NYC Marathon ALZ Association

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Vegan Five One Eats #7 (New York City)

Sunday morning brought me to the Lower East Side/ East Village section of New York. In a few hours, I will be taking a walking tour around the area with a guide that has numerous stories over the years about punk rock. But first, it is time to find a restaurant nearby serving delicious vegan food. How about Organic Grill on 1st Avenue? That sounds wonderful.

I heard about Organic Grill through social media posts, most notably John Joseph (Cro-Mags). All their menu items are vegan. However, not all of them are gluten free and nut free. If you have allergies, make sure to read the menu before ordering. When I arrive, brunch was being served. Before entering, I took a look at the menu posted on the window. On the regular menu, I noticed a sandwich created by John Joseph himself. It is called the John Joseph Jackfruit Sandwich. Around 11:30, I was able to get a small table in the back close to the kitchen. If you have a group, I would highly recommend getting reservations, especially on the weekends. It is a small establishment and not too many tables.


The sandwich contains Jackfruit with barbecue sauce; aquafaba mayonnaise; and kale slaw on a potato dill bun. It was delicious because the filling was almost falling off the bun and it was not dry. This is my second time have a Jackfruit sandwich, Organic Grill did an excellent job. Prior to the visit, I never had Kale Slaw before. That's what I forgot to do, put it on the sandwich instead of eating it as a side dish. Either way, that was terrific.

Looking outside, it is starting to rain. Luckily, crowds are not rushing in during brunch. That gave me a little extra time to pass before the walking tour began. After the meal, I received the check along with a comment card, in the form of a post card. I took the opportunity to write, "John Joseph and Rich Roll sent me here. Awesome food and excellent service. Will return again soon." Leaving the card on the table, I noticed an older man walking around talking to the patrons. That must be the owner, Vladimir. Moments later, the owner noticed my card and we instantly struck up a conversation. I told him about how I found out about his establishment. Then, he gives me a copy of John Joseph's, Meat Is For Pussies. Thank you very much for the book Vladimir. I really appreciate it and can't wait to start reading it. He took a picture of me with the book and sent it to John Joseph himself.

This is the first vegan restaurant where the owner talked with me. I really appreciated Vladimir getting to know patrons personally. Our conversation was wonderful and we could've talked longer. More patrons are shuffling in and need my table. Along with the excellent staff and service, thank you very much for making my first trip to Organic Grill a memorable experience. Of course, I will return soon. Hopefully, I will bring more friends with me. What should I get next time I visit? Maybe the Waffle Burger or Green Machine Burger.

Until next time, healthy eating and prosperous living.

-MJ

For more information, visit https://www.theorganicgrill.com/
You can also find them on social media @organicgrill

No comments:

Post a Comment