TCS NYC Marathon ALZ Association

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Rensellaerville Ramble Trail Run


Great catching up with a running friend. Photo: Sarah Dobler

Saturday brought me to Rensellaerville for the 3rd annual Ramble Run trail race. It was a good opportunity to take my run off the pavement for once. I enjoy my normal training runs on the road, but there is something about running shoes making contact with terrain. This was my first trail race in almost four years. Currently, I am finishing up training for a 10K race coming up next weekend. An eight mile run was scheduled prior to tapering. Rensellaerville Ramble Run had an eight mile race so I decided to sign up for that. 

I never been to Huyck Preserve, race location site. But the area was beautiful and I couldn't wait to get on the trail. My objectives were to run at a controlled pace and stay focused on the course. With the course being marked very well, that made my objective more easier. It allowed me to stay focused on the course and not look back.

The route began gradually uphill on Pond Hill Road. Then, the course took a left turn on Ordway Trail to the Race Track Trail circle. I conserved my energy as much as possible following runners for a couple minutes at a time. Once it got quiet, I ran solo for a good portion of the race. I could hear someone behind me coming down the hill but never passed me. After the race, I talked to the runner who finished behind me. He told me that I beat him on the hills. With the elevation changes and gain, I conserved my energy as much as possible and not get flustered mentally. It was a struggle somewhat with the hills but I told myself to keep pushing and do not stop. Miles 2-5 had drastic elevation changes with steady climbs. Consumed an energy gel (Huma) just after mile 3 and right before the water/aid station at mile 4. It was interesting hearing the banjos play along the course a couple times. Once I got beyond mile 5, the course began its descent towards the finish.

Mile 7, the course switched to the trail off of Pond Hill Road, Lake Trail. Ran on a few makeshift bridges and slightly jagged uphill towards the finish. The race ended back where it started on the road. Crossed the line with a time of 1:07:25 good enough for fourth overall.

All in all, it was a very sweet experience. I definitely want to do another trail run in the future. The volunteers, sponsors, and event coordinators were wonderful. Met so many amazing people at the race. I was very fortunate to run for a great cause. Sorry this is not a well detailed recap. Still have a lot to learn from the race. Until next time.

Happy Trails
-MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment